Borax has been very useful in mold removal and prevention in my home. It acts as a mild, yet non-scartching abarsive which scrubs away mold quickly and effectively with little effort. It is possible to use a regular household sponge to scrub away mold using borax. Additionally, borax helps to prevent mold for a short period of time. I use it to clean everything from the kitchen sink, to the bathtub, and the toilet. It leaves the surfaces bright and clean.
I believe the use of borax could be imporved upon, however. The powder itself can be difficult to rinse away if a large amount is used and may leave behind a light residue. Additionally, it can bothersome to have to sprinkle a powder over every surface you wish to clean. If borax could be combined with other cleaning agents it could be made easier to clean up and more convenient to use. Specifically, I think it would be best to combine it into a sprayable liquid solution.
Creating a liquid cleaner using borax as well as other natural cleaning agents, such as vinager and hydrogen peroxide, would both increase ease of use and, I believe, effectiveness. However, to increase the appeal of such a cleaner, I think it would be preferable to add scents using essentail oils or other natural perfumes. Especially so if vinegar is used, as the smell can be somewhat offputting and harsh.
Another benefit of using borax, combined with other natural cleaning agents, is the lack of toxic ingredients. It is safer to use, yet still effective. There would be little danger in using such a product around eating utensiles, animals, or children. Unlike harsh chemical cleaners, a borax solution would be easier on the consumer's health, as it would not act as a lung or skin irritant.
Using borax in a liquid solution would be an easier and safer way to prevent mold and would have a variety of additional uses. Such a solution would make natural cleaning more convenient for the consumer in providing a simple, ready to use, and hassle free product.
Run the air-conditioning....it might save your shoes....
I clean the vinyl siding at my mothers house twice a year because it molds on the shady sides. I would love to use bleach to really slow down the growth, but I am afraid of changing the color. It would be wonderful to have a hose attached sprayer that would help with this nasty job.
Put dry towels around pipes to keep them from dripping
Lemon juice....Really helps with mold!
I have a beautiful outdoor fountain and i was continually cleaning all the slime, mold, and mildew out of it, I would have to empty it, clean it and refill it all the time.
I got smart and once a week I add 1 capfull of bleach to the water and I dont have all the gunk, and it stays nice and clean.
This is such an effortless cleaning solution that saves me a lot of work.
When it comes to mold, it has got to be one of the hardest things to get rid of. There are different types of mold the hardest to get rid of is black mold. It gets under carpets and into the walls. It can make you sick!!
Mold turns up in areas that are wet, and stay wet often like bathroom and showers. As a child growing up we would dry the walls, and floors of the bathroom after we were done. So a good mold stopper is to keep the areas where mold would be found dry.
The best mold remover or killer has always been straight bleach. Nothing watered down, no other type of sprays seem to work as well as bleach does. By using a sponge and bleach you are able to get into some areas, and using a spray bottle you would spray the bleach on and then leave it for a while. Go back and wipe it down.
To answer your question (sorry about the mis-spelling there) we would apply the bleach to the mold straight, not watered down. Leaving it there for up to 20 minutes. And then wipe it off. Making sure that the area was dry when we were done. It helped keep the mold from coming back.
The ceilings in showers being too high for a kid, we would apply bleach to a old mop head and wipe the ceiling down with it. We would leave it on the ceiling for up to 20 minutes or till you saw the black spots are gone. Was it safe to do it this way? No idea, but when you got little kids living in really old houses nothing fancy will work. It had to be straight bleach.
Bleach is the number one way to kill mold spores, and the Clorox Company is a front runner in the bleach department. But since bleach is not healthy to inhale, especially when used in confined spaces or over extended periods, it would seem like a good idea for Clorox to make a natural, non-hazardous mold killer using vinegar, tea tree oil or peroxide. Counterintuitive? No, especially if marketed under the Green Works label. This healthier alternative to a bleach based product would allow consumers to use the product on hard and soft surfaces and be safe to use around children and pets. Also, it would not need to be wiped or rinsed. It could be made available in a reusable spray bottle and in larger bottles of concentrated mold killer formula which can be diluted with water by the customer.
I make my own cleaner and fighter for mold and mildew. For some reason our white vinyl siding has areas of mold and mildew. I use an empty spray bottle, a little dish detergent, and clorox. Spray the house with it use the brush and it comes off. I don't have to worry about killing any plants since there is stone there and I don't want plants growing there anyway.