Bleach is the number one way to kill mold spores, and the Clorox Company is a front runner in the bleach department. But since bleach is not healthy to inhale, especially when used in confined spaces or over extended periods, it would seem like a good idea for Clorox to make a natural, non-hazardous mold killer using vinegar, tea tree oil or peroxide. Counterintuitive? No, especially if marketed under the Green Works label. This healthier alternative to a bleach based product would allow consumers to use the product on hard and soft surfaces and be safe to use around children and pets. Also, it would not need to be wiped or rinsed. It could be made available in a reusable spray bottle and in larger bottles of concentrated mold killer formula which can be diluted with water by the customer.
Sometimes, mold isn't always obvious, especially if it's present in conjunction with other stains such as rust or dirt.
In my teens I worked at a swimming pool that used chlorine gas to treat the water. Before entering the chemical room, we were required to spray an ammonia based spray in the door. If the air in the presence of the spray became cloudy, we knew chlorine was present and we'd have to immediately evacuate. Yes, we did eventually have a leak and the spray probably saved lives.
Perhaps a similar spray that changed color upon contact with the presence of mold could help us detect what we can't see and help to diagnose the severity of the problem. As a homeowner with experience renovating 100+ year old homes, I'm willing to tackly some gnarly problems, but I have my limits when it comes to mold. If I could quickly spray and know how big a problem I'm dealing with, it would allow me to assess whether I have to call in an expert. Extra bonus if it could be formulated in such a way that it could indicate mold in areas that can't be seen. After all, commercial mold "sniffers" are not cheap at all.....and mold can and will go places we can't see.
Something like a mood ring that changes color when mold-causing moisture is present. ideally colors should get deeper in intensity the higher the moisture level and there should be a scale that tells you that based on the color, you are susceptible to mold. It could be on a strip that you could stick in various locations.
Borax has been very useful in mold removal and prevention in my home. It acts as a mild, yet non-scartching abarsive which scrubs away mold quickly and effectively with little effort. It is possible to use a regular household sponge to scrub away mold using borax. Additionally, borax helps to prevent mold for a short period of time. I use it to clean everything from the kitchen sink, to the bathtub, and the toilet. It leaves the surfaces bright and clean.
I believe the use of borax could be imporved upon, however. The powder itself can be difficult to rinse away if a large amount is used and may leave behind a light residue. Additionally, it can bothersome to have to sprinkle a powder over every surface you wish to clean. If borax could be combined with other cleaning agents it could be made easier to clean up and more convenient to use. Specifically, I think it would be best to combine it into a sprayable liquid solution.
Creating a liquid cleaner using borax as well as other natural cleaning agents, such as vinager and hydrogen peroxide, would both increase ease of use and, I believe, effectiveness. However, to increase the appeal of such a cleaner, I think it would be preferable to add scents using essentail oils or other natural perfumes. Especially so if vinegar is used, as the smell can be somewhat offputting and harsh.
Another benefit of using borax, combined with other natural cleaning agents, is the lack of toxic ingredients. It is safer to use, yet still effective. There would be little danger in using such a product around eating utensiles, animals, or children. Unlike harsh chemical cleaners, a borax solution would be easier on the consumer's health, as it would not act as a lung or skin irritant.
Using borax in a liquid solution would be an easier and safer way to prevent mold and would have a variety of additional uses. Such a solution would make natural cleaning more convenient for the consumer in providing a simple, ready to use, and hassle free product.
I have a beautiful outdoor fountain and i was continually cleaning all the slime, mold, and mildew out of it, I would have to empty it, clean it and refill it all the time.
I got smart and once a week I add 1 capfull of bleach to the water and I dont have all the gunk, and it stays nice and clean.
This is such an effortless cleaning solution that saves me a lot of work.
I make my own cleaner and fighter for mold and mildew. For some reason our white vinyl siding has areas of mold and mildew. I use an empty spray bottle, a little dish detergent, and clorox. Spray the house with it use the brush and it comes off. I don't have to worry about killing any plants since there is stone there and I don't want plants growing there anyway.
My idea is simple, what it do is you put it in your drain and leave it if you want. As hair or anything falls down the drain it will be caught by the catcher and you will be able to bring it up without the water being clogged up. It will be very easy to clean just by wiping it off. I know everyone got the problem with their teenage daughters washing their hair in sinks and it ends up clogging. Well with this invention you can prevent that cause it will get caught on the grizzles on the product. Even rings and othe item can also be prevented from goin down the drain, and it also can save alot of money by not having to call any plumbers to come and unclog the drain or having to go out and by snakes to stick down there. It also can be used in bathtubs also.
Would be nice to have a clorox shoe scrubber by the door. Scrub feet off before entering. Geting mold, dirt and germs off bottom off shoes. I would Love one of these that scrubs and drys off sho so your not spreading mold, germs and mud every where.
Similar to DampRid, a product that absorbs moisture but that you can stick in various locations like a peel and stick air freshener. Then you can stick it behind the toilet and other hard to reach, damp places